A delicious twist on a traditional recipe, with a vegan white sauce, smeared over thinly sliced, baked potatoes + throw in a bunch of fresh herbs and garlic. An amazing side dish that won’t disappoint.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Oven Safe Casserole Dish
- Aluminium Foil
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- Measuring Utensils: 1 cup, 1/2 a cup and tbsp
- Spray Oil
- Kitchen Scales
- 1 kg potatoes (we used red royal but any will do)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (leaves removed)
- 1 sprig fresh oregano (leaves removed)
- 1 sprig rosemary (leaves removed)
- 2 tbsp chives (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 30 grams vegan butter
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups rice or soy milk
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Slice your potatoes very thinly and arrange them in a well greased oven safe casserole dish. Sprinkle over the crushed garlic and herbs. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 30 grams of vegan butter over low-medium heat. Once your butter has melted add in the flour and nutmeg, stirring to combine. Then add in your plant based milk slowly, adding in a 1/4 cup at a time and whisking out the lumps in between. Keep whisking until your mixture thickens and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the white sauce over your potatoes in the casserole dish and cover with aluminium foil. Place into the oven for 45 minutes, take off the aluminium foil and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden and crispy.