A delicious dairy free creamy cauliflower ‘cheese’, top with your favourite breadcrumbs and vegan cheese.
Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
- Microwave safe bowl and plate
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 60 grams vegan butter
- 4 tbsp gf plain flour or cornstarch
- 3 cups plant milk (we used rice)
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg (or ground)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese (optional)
- Cut the cauliflower head into medium sized chunks and place in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a microwave safe plate and put into the microwave for 15 minutes.
- While your cauliflower is in the microwave, it's time to make the white sauce. Melt 60 grams of vegan butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the gf flour, salt. pepper and nutmeg until well combined.
- Slowly add in the plant milk a 1/4 cup at a time turning the heat back up to medium-high. Whisk constantly to make sure the sauce doesn't stick to the bottom. The sauce should thicken within about 5 minutes. If you need to, add in more flour, just make sure you mix it with a little water in a cup or bowl first to get out the lumps and then add it to the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place pre-cooked cauliflower in little separate ramekin dishes or a large casserole dish (both will work fine) and pour the white sauce over the top. Top with gf bread crumbs and vegan cheese.
- Place in the oven uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the crumbs are golden and crispy and the cheese melted.