Healthy plant based pepperoni pieces that are made entirely of tofu and spices.
Baking them in the oven gives them that delicious chewy, crunchy texture, perfect for pizza or bake until completely crispy for a jerky-like snack!
The easiest vegan gluten free pepperoni
- Food Processor
- Baking Paper
- Baking Tray
- Rolling Pin
- Small cookie cutter
- Measuring Utensils: tsp and 1/4 tsp
- Kitchen Scales
- Mortar and Pestle
- 380 grams firm tofu
- 2 tsp whole fennel seeds
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 tsp chili flakes (can adjust to your own spice levels)
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Wrap your tofu block with paper towel and press firmly between two plates (or breadboards). This is to drain any excess water from the tofu. Don't forget this step because it will affect the texture of your pepperoni's.
Make the pepperoni
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- In a mortar and pestle lightly crush – mustard seeds, caraway seeds and fennel seeds. Add to your food processor along with all of the other ingredients.
- Blend until your mixture comes off the sides of the processor and forms a smooth ball. Taste and adjust flavours to how you would prefer.
- Roll out your 'dough' between two pieces of baking paper until you reach your desired thickness (we rolled ours out to about 2-3 mm, use a ruler to measure).
- Peel off the top layer of baking paper and transfer to a baking tray, spray with oil and place in the oven for about 25 minutes (or until a little crunchy and chewy).
- Take your tray out of the oven and cut your dough into small pepperoni circles (we used a small cookie cutter – you can cut them into any shape or size you would like).
- Add to your favourite pizza recipe or eat just as a snack! You can also put them back in the oven a bake for a little longer if you want them to be a little more like a jerky snack.