This bolognese tops all other bolognese sauces, it’s rich, sweet and nutritious!
The best vegan spaghetti bolognese
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- Food Processor
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Utensils: a cup, tbsp and a tsp
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 grams of your favourite vegan mince
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 large carrots (roughly chopped)
- 4 stalks celery (roughly chopped)
- 1 large brown onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 plant based beef stock cube
- 1 cup water
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 400 gram tin of crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 packet of your favourite gf spaghetti (or regular spaghetti)
- vegan parmesan cheese
- chili oil
- fresh parsley
- In a food processor add onion, celery and carrot together and pulse until the veggies have broken down into fine pieces. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same processor (don't worry about washing or anything), pulse together: veggie mince, herbs and garlic until the mixture has broken down into fine pieces.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and your onion, celery, carrot mixture. Saute for about 7 minutes. Then add your herb, mince and garlic mixture. Saute for a further 5 minutes or until the mince is slightly browned.
- Pour into your pan, 3/4 cup of red wine and deglaze the pan by scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. You can then add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, plant based beef stock, bay leaves, chili flakes, salt and pepper
- Simmer over low heat for an hour until your sauce has broken down and thickened. Adjust salt and chili levels to your taste.
- Boil your pasta according to the instructions on the back of the packet (each type of pasta has different cooking times).
- Remove bay leaves before eating and serve on a bed of pasta and with your chosen garnishes.