Such a delicious, creamy dish, that in all honesty, tastes exactly like a butter chicken curry you would get in a restaurant.
Chuck in any veggies that you have laying around or have it just with vegan chicken pieces. You can substitute the chicken pieces for tofu.
See notes for tips.
Restaurant Style Vegan Butter Chicken
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- Medium saucepan
- Stirring utensil
- Measuring Utensils: tsp, tbsp and a 1/2 cup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 inches ginger (grated)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (or 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small pinch fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 1 400 gram tin of tomato puree or passata sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup vegan chicken pieces
- 1 large handful of green beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
To serve with
- basmati rice
- naan bread
- fresh coriander
- Add 4 tbsp of olive oil into a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in your onion and saute until the onions turn translucent (about 3-5 minutes)
- Add in your garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes. Turn down the heat to low-medium and add in your cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder and salt. Lightly fry until fragrant. Then quickly add in the tomato puree, water and chicken pieces. Simmer with the lid off until the sauce reduces down and thickens, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Add in the green beans and simmer for a further 2 minutes, take off the heat and add in the garam masala, fenugreek leaves and sugar.
- Serve on a bed of warm basmati rice and gf flat bread or naan bread, top with freshly chopped coriander.