With a homemade broth, fresh herbs and legumes, this soup is so healthy and packed full of fibre and protein.
Hearty Root Veggie Soup
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- Large Pot
- Stirring utensil
- 4 onions
- 4 carrots
- 1 fennel bulb (including stalk and fronds)
- 2 inches fresh ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 whole parsnip
- 1 celery bunch
- 2 turnips
- 2 swedes
- 2 leeks
- 3 potatoes
- 1 sweet potato
- 375 gram dried soup mix (one with beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas etc)
- 2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 plant based chicken stock cubes
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 sprigs fresh oregano
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh chives
Make the broth
- Peel the potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, swedes and turnips. Add their skins to a large pot, leaving the whole veggies aside.
- Roughly chop the green parts and bottoms off the leeks (leaving the rest aside), roughly chop the whole fennel (including the stalks and leaves) and ginger, add to the pot.
- Cut into large chunks: 2 carrots, 2 onions. Add to pot along with leaves and bottom of the celery and whole garlic cloves (skins included). Also add in the fresh herbs, salt, pepper and turmeric. Only just cover all the veggies in the pot with water and bring to a boil with the lid on for 2 hours.
- Whilst your broth is on the stove, you can start soaking your soup mix. Read and follow the instructions on the back of your chosen soup mix.
- When your broth is finished, strain out the veggies and keep the liquid. We did this by placing a large cooking bowl in the sink with a colander on the top and pour the broth through the colander. Pour only the liquid back into your large pot.
- Dice the potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, swedes, turnips and parsnip. Slice the celery and leeks. Add to your broth in the pot.
- Strain away any water from the soaking soup mix and add to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for however long your soup mix needs to cook. (you pre soak the soup mix first so it won't take long to go tender. This stops the veggies from overcooking.)
- When your soup is finished cooking, stir in the chicken stock cubes. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste.