Panzanella salad is a Tuscan chopped salad of soaked stale bread, onions and tomatoes. I love how fresh and tangy it is and as always I added my own twist by including some roasted sweet baby capsicums and of course I made it gluten free. This salad is naturally vegan but you can defiantly add some parmesan cheese or some fresh bocconcini.
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- Baking Tray x 2
- Aluminium Foil
- Salad Bowl
- Measuring Utensils: tbsp and a tsp
- 1/2 loaf stale crusty bread
- 400 grams vine ripened tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- Tbsp capers (roughly chopped)
- fresh basil
- 1 red capsicum (cut lengthways into thick slices) or a handful of baby capsicums
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 50°C.
- On a baking tray lined with foil, place capsicums into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until they are soft and slightly charred. Take off the tops and scrape out the seeds. Chop them into pieces.
- Tear the crusty bread into chunks and transfer on a baking tray. Place into the oven for 15-20 minutes until the bread is stale and slightly crunchy.
- In a salad bowl mix together the bread, roasted capsicum, red onion, tomatoes, capers and fresh basil.
- Taking a jar, add in all your dressing ingredients and shake to combine.
- Pour over salad, toss and enjoy!