Use any veggies you like and smother them in delicious peanut satay sauce.
Gado Gado (Indonesian salad with satay sauce)
- Measuring Utensils: 1/2 cup and a tbsp
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- Stirring utensil
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 6 tbsp hot water
- 6 boiled potatoes
- 3 hard boiled eggs (cut in half)
- 1 block tofu or tempeh
- 1 capsicum (thinly sliced)
- 1 carrot (thinly sliced)
- 1 handful sugar snap peas or snow peas (top and tailed)
- 1 handful bean sprouts
- 1 handful green beans
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- fried shallots
- Freshly chopped chili
- Fried bitternut (emping)
- fresh coriander
- Mix together all satay sauce ingredients, keep adding water a tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired thickness.
- To boil potatoes: Cut potatoes in half (or quarters if your potatoes are large in size), transfer to a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil for about 20 minutes or until you can stick a fork easily into one (this means the potatoes are ready). Drain and set aside.
- To hard boil eggs: Place eggs carefully into a saucepan and cover with water, bring to a boil for 15 minutes. When they are finished boiling, drain water and transfer to a bowl of cold water (this makes it easier to peel). Set aside.
- Blanching veggies: We didn't blanch any of our veggies as we like them crispy but if you would like them a little softer all you have to do is get a medium saucepan of water boiling. Place veggies into the boiling water for about 2-5 minutes until you have your desired texture. Transfer to a bowl of col water to stop them from further cooking. Blanch different vegetables separately as they have different rates of cooking times. Leave the tomato and cucumber fresh.
- Tofu or tempeh: To crisp up your tofu or tempeh, pour a tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and lay tofu or tempeh evenly in pan. Fry on both sides until brown and crispy (about 4-5 minutes on each side).
Assemble your Gado Gado
- Place desired veggies onto a plate and cover with a generous amount of satay sauce, garnish with your chosen ingredients.