To be honest, I’ve never been a huge tofu fan. The texture always freaked me out a little and I didn’t like the taste so I’m always on a mission to try and make it taste as good as possible! It’s so good for you and for me, training and eating a mainly plant-based diet can be some-what of a challenge sometimes (especially getting a good protein intake). BUT, I think I’ve hit the jackpot with these EXTRA crispy sesame crusted tofu schnitzels. They don’t taste even close to tofu and served with lemon and tartare (omg so good).
You can definitely make it even healthier by putting them in the oven instead of pan frying :).
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Crispy Sesame Crusted Tofu
- Paper Towel
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- 2 x Bowl
- Measuring Utensils: 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup and a tsp
- 250 grams tofu
- 1/3 cup gluten free crumbs
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- 1 egg (use 1/4 cup aquafaba if vegan)
- 1/4 cup gluten free plain flour
- oil for frying
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
To serve (optional)
- Wrap your tofu block with paper towel and press firmly between two plates (or breadboards). This is to drain any excess water from the tofu.
- Cut your tofu into 4 equal slices and then in half again to make squares.
- In one bowl crack your egg (or aquafaba) and whisk. In separate bowl combine breadcrumbs, white and black sesame seeds, salt and pepper. In another bowl again add 1/4 cup of flour.
- Pour enough oil to just cover the bottom of a frypan over medium-high heat.
- Whilst the oil is heating up, dip the tofu into the flour, then the egg, followed by the crumb mixture. Repeat for all tofu pieces and then place each piece into the hot oil.
- Shallow fry your tofu until it turns a deep golden brown colour.
- Dab with paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and tartare.