Crispy fried silken tofu in a delicious homemade tsuyu broth. We made our dashi so that this dish would be gluten free, vegan and a whole lot healthier, although store-bought dashi would work just as well!
This is our absolute favourite recipe at the moment so we hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- Small Pot for Deep Frying
- Spider Utensil or Small Strainer
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- Large Strainer
- Measuring Utensils: 3/4 cup, tbsp, 1/4 tsp, tsp
- Paper Towel
- Medium saucepan
- 300 gram block of silken tofu
- cornflour (for dusting the tofu)
- vegetable oil (such as canola) for deep frying
- 3/4 cup gluten free dashi stock
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 4 cups water
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large kobu strip (or 6-10 small pieces)
- 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 green onion (finely chopped)
- pickled ginger
To make your vegan dashi broth
- Add the 4 cups of water and your dried kombu to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer (not a boil). Simmer for about 5 minutes and then remove the kombu and add in the shiitake mushrooms. Let your mushrooms simmer without the lid for 45 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and add in your mirin, ginger and soy, giving it a gentle stir. Pour your dashi broth through a sieve to remove any bits left in the liquid. Set aside.
To make the Agedashi Tofu
- Carefully wrap your silken tofu in paper towel and place in a large strainer over the sink for 15 minutes to drain any excess water. This is so your oil doesn't spit everywhere when you fry your tofu.
- Add your dashi, soy, sugar and mirin into a small saucepan over low-medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Take off heat and set aside.
- Line a bowl or plate with paper towel and set aside.
- Heat your oil to a suitable temperature for deep frying (about 180°C).
- Carefully cut your silken tofu into 4 equal cubes and lightly coat them in cornflour.
- Carefully, using a spider utensil or a small strainer with a handle, lower your dusted silken tofu into the oil. Let it fry until golden and crispy (about 1-2 minutes depending on the temperature of your oil). Take your tofu out and place on the lined bowl/plate with paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Place your tofu into a small bowl, pour over your tsuyu broth and garnish with fresh green onion and pickled ginger.